Garden Care Chemical products are only approved if their properties when used according to label instructions mean that there are no significant risks to children and pets. Generally children and pets should ONLY be kept away from treated areas whilst a spray product dries or a granular herbicide lawn fertiliser is watered in. .
When selecting a product for purchase, and when using a product read the label carefully as it will give clear and precise instructions regarding children and pets.
Some products such as metaldehyde containing slug pellets carry specific warnings: 'since this product contains metaldehyde, which can kill if eaten, it must be kept away from children and pets’.
With regard to storage there are a number of simple common sense rules that need to be followed.
- Product must always be stored in the original container with the correct label.
- Store products in a secure place where they are inaccessible to children.
- Keep the products in their original containers.
- Do not leave product around the garden in the sprayer when applying the product.
- Clear up any spillage immediately.